Monday, February 21, 2011

Inspiration Monday- The Butterfly Effect OPEN Project

A few weeks ago, I read about the Butterfly Project on Two Dresses Studio. I wanted to post about this on one of my Inspiration Monday posts, especially after participating in the 2011 One World One Heart Event. It really intrigued me as it was a pretty substantial way to have Artwork make a statement. "The Butterfly Project" is hosted by The Holocaust Museum Houston in Texas, USA. Here is a copy of some of her post: 
Their mission  as follows:
The Holocaust Museum Houston is dedicated to educating people about the Holocaust, remembering the 6 million Jews and other innocent victims and honoring the survivors' legacy. Using the lessons of the Holocaust and other genocides, we teach the dangers of hatred, prejudice and apathy.  And the tag line following it reads:

Stop Hate. Starting Here.

The Butterfly Project mandate is to remember 


the 1,500,000 innocent children who perished  


as a result of the Holocaust 


by collecting 1.5 million handmade butterflies.




In Spring 2013, these butterflies will then become a break-taking exhibition to serve as a memory of this event. 
Can you imagine? 1.5 million children translated into 1.5 million butterflies....? If you are wondering why they chose a butterfly, the project is based on this poem -
I Never Saw Another Butterfly
The last, the very last,

So richly, brightly, dazzlingly yellow
Perhaps if the sun’s tears would sing
against a white stone.... 

Such, such a yellow
Is carried lightly ’way up high.
It went away I’m sure 
because it wished 
to kiss the world good-bye.
 For seven weeks I’ve lived in here
Penned up inside this ghetto.
But I have found what I love here.
The dandelions call to me
And the white chestnut branches in the court.
Only I never saw another butterfly. 
That butterfly was the last one.
Butterflies don’t live in here, in the ghetto. 

Written  by Pavel Friedman, June 4, 1942 
Born in Prague on Jan. 7, 1921.
Deported to the Terezin Concentration Camp on April 26, 1942. 
Died in Aushchwitz on Sept. 29, 1944. 
Pavel was 23.    23.  My Aaron is just a couple of years younger than that. 





This week, I am going to be sending a butterfly. At least one, maybe more. It depends on how many I can make this week. I will be sending it on to my blogger friend, Two Dresses Studio who is an amazing and inspirational artist. You see, just like her, this post and learning of this event touched me. It has inspired me to participate and create my own butterfly art and to send it onto her. If you would like to read more about this, go to her blog and read about this event. Then- Participate with me! 

This is what else was on her post & My Inspiration for today:

The Butterfly Effect "OPEN" 


...borrowing from  chaos theory, but  much more importantly  


based on the wonderful notion that if enough people 


think enough healing thoughts, 


then slowly our world will be at peace. 


No one said it better than Gandhi -  


Be the change 


you want to see in the world.




This is the power of the collective consciousness.   
Wouldn't this be a great place to start? 
So Consider yourself invited! 
YOU don't have to be an Artist to participate. 
Just pick up your colored Pens, pencils, watercolors, paints, fabrics- whatever makes you feel inspired and create a butterfly for Spring. Then go to Two dresses link her and follow the directions where to send your art. She is taking pictures of all of the butterflies and posting them after she gets a batch, so you can see what others have made. If you go over there to her blog you can see all of what has been done so far. 

Follow the instructions  as outlined by the  Holocaust Museum highlighted in blue below.  When your  copyright free butterfly is completed, pop it into an envelope  including your name, email and blog or web address  and mail it to:

Two Dresses Studio
1554 - 20 Avenue South
Lethbridge, AB  T1K1E9
Canada
DEADLINE - next year, December 31st, 2011 

Holocaust Museum Houston
c/o Butterfly Project
Education Department
5401 Caroline St.
Houston, TX 77004

The deadline for butterflies to be received at the museum has now been established as June 30, 2012.

1 comment:

  1. This looks like an amazing project Pam.

    By the way - I'm your newest follower! (for now at least!) I found your blog on the SITS girls Follow and Be Followed thread. Please follow back! scathingweekly.blogspot.com Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Design Spark!
I love comments, they make me happy!
I hope you leave my blog feeling a little "Spark" of Inspiration.
Have a Great Day☀
Pam ♥